Winter is coming and I don’t mean in a ‘Game of Thrones’ kind of way. The requests have begun on social media for tips on how to get rid of a cough, a sore throat, colds and the like. When you get struck down with a sore throat it can really set you back with work, family and social plans so it’s best to be forearmed.
Jakemans – Soothing Menthol Sweets
Jakemans have been creating marvellous menthol sweets since 1907 and are the sweets that I remember my Nanna and Grandad carrying their bags when I was a child, so it’s no surprise that they are my throat sweet of choice today. Jakeman’s are a proudly British brand who only use the finest ingredients, with no artificial colours or flavours. They are suitable for vegetarians and those following a gluten-free diet.
There are two things I have learnt since being sent their full product range to support ‘The Marvellous Menthol Alliance’ campaign;
- That they are made in Boston, Lincolnshire – the place where I was born and not far from where I grew up.
- How big their product range is, being available in 7 delicious flavours.
- Throat & Chest (black)
- Honey & Lemon (yellow)
- Blackcurrant (purple)
- Cherry (red)
- Peppermint menthol (green)
- Extra Strong Menthol & Eucalyptus (blue)
- Blueberry Menthol (magenta)
- Handy stick packs – Throat & Chest and Honey & Lemon for menthol on the move!
My Jakemans of choice
I always carry a bag of Throat & Chest or Honey & Lemon in my handbag as I frequently suffer with sore throats (apparently it’s a Taurean thing but perhaps I’m just unlucky). I still think the Throat & Chest sweets tastes the best, they are also the ones that remind me the most of my Grandparents. Whilst the Honey & Lemon Jakemans are a delicious and effective way to soothe sore throats.
Now that I have had the chance to try the other flavours, I have a few new favourites to add; Cherry, Blueberry and Blackcurrant to be precise as I do love a fruity sweet since they are enjoyable to eat. Personally, I wasn’t a fan of the Extra Strong Menthol & Eucalyptus but perhaps I would feel differently if I was struck down with a thick cough and cold as they would be the perfect relief. Simon likes the Peppermint and Cherry flavours.
To help you to take care of your voice this winter with Jakemans marvellous menthol confectionary, follow these top tips from Marvin, leading pharmacist and Jakemans expert.
Top Tips for Sore Throats
Over-using our voices is unavoidable when living in a busy family home, so instead consider trying Marvin’s top tips on how to steer clear of a sore throat:
- Breathe Easy – Breathing through the nose, rather than the mouth, is a wonderful way to filter the air we breathe of bacteria and other harmful irritants before they enter the body. The nose is a miraculous filter lined with tiny hairs called ‘cilia’, which help to filter, humidify and warm or cool the air we breathe, therefore protecting our bodies against particles of foreign matters.
- Swallow It – Swallowing regularly helps to cleanse the throat. Saliva keeps our mouths healthy and prevents infections by controlling bacteria and fungi in the mouth. The natural saliva our bodies produce helps to rinse the throat of any unwanted bacteria that could contribute to a sore throat.
- Shower Power – The humid environment of a steamy bathroom when relaxing in a hot bath or shower can help prevent the lining of the throat from becoming too dry and irritated – a common cause of a sore throat
- Brush It Off – If you’re plagued with a sore throat that seems to come back time and time again, buy a new toothbrush. Bacteria collects on the bristles, and if you injure your gums as you brush, they can enter your system and re-infect you.
A sore throat can strike at any time, aside from keeping Jakemans marvellous menthol confectionery on hand to soothe a sore throat, Marvin shares expert advice on how best to care for you’re feeling hoarse:
- Cut Conversation – Resting your voice and keeping conversation to a minimum will help to aid your recovery from a sore throat. Swap up a straining conversation for text, email or note communication. If you have small children who may have yet to learn to read, use pictures instead of words – they will love the challenge of guessing what you want – and if you cannot talk, give them lots of cuddles. Likewise, sleep is essential for the recovery process. Getting a good night’s sleep helps the body’s immune system fight off viruses and bacteria that can be causing a sore throat.
- Suck To Soothe – Sucking on menthol cough confectionery, such as Jakemans, can help soothe discomfort caused by a sore throat. Each Jakemans sweet is bursting with menthol – an ingredient that releases natural vapours to also help keep airways clear.
- Say Hello to H2O – Staying hydrated is vital to avoiding sore throats. When we’re dehydrated, the body can’t produce enough saliva and mucus to keep the throat naturally lubricated. This will make the swelling and inflammation of a sore throat worse. Water is ideal or warm herbal teas are also super soothing.
- Avoid Alcohol – Before you turn to a tipple, think again as alcohol can do more harm than good when suffering with a sore throat. The old wives’ tale that alcohol ‘disinfects’ the throat is unfortunately a myth. In fact, drinking alcohol is much more likely to irritate than soothe a sore throat.
Where to buy
Jakemans are available from all major supermarkets, pharmacies and convenience stores at RRP 96p for 100g bags and 69p for stick packs.