The Half-Term Rollercoaster!! 1

The Half-Term Rollercoaster!!

Last week was Little Bean’s first half-term holiday from school and boy what a week that was. We had highs, which were great and we had lows, which obviously weren’t so great!

I never know whether you should go with explaining the good stuff first and then go downhill or whether it’s best to get the rubbish out of the way first and end on a high? I think it’s best to end on a high so let’s try that . . .

The Lows

Little Bean has been a little ‘challenging’ of late, it started out being horrible to Grandad, which I have to say really gets my goat. I was especially close to my Grandad and even though he has been gone for 15 years now, I still think of him at least once every single day. I happen to think that Grandparents are very special people who should be treasured and treated with respect so it has hurt me very much recently when Little Bean has been less than friendly to her Grandad. She has always had a good relationship with her Grandad until one day when he shouted at her because she attempted to push Beanie Boy down the stairs right before Grandad’s eyes. Naturally Grandad was frightened for Beanie Boy’s safety but Little Bean didn’t take kindly to Grandad shouting at her and so has since told him on a number of occasions that she didn’t like him. Now perhaps if I had thought about this a little more, I would have taken the same tack that I do when the occasional naughty word slips off her tongue, I ignore it and the majority of the time I never hear it again. But like I said, I think that Grandparents are special and I miss mine terribly so she touched a nerve with me and each time she was horrible to Grandad I would have stern words with her. This backfired somewhat when last week on what was supposed to be a nice afternoon out just me and the tiddlers, she turned to me and told me “I don’t like you and I don’t want to go anywhere with you” because I told her she couldn’t bring a bunch of wet leaves into the car. So being 6 months pregnant, full of hormones and feeling a little under the weather still I did what any self-respecting Mother would do, I burst into tears and rang Hubby saying we had big problems. I acted like a child myself, I turned the car around, came home and told her to go to her bedroom until she could learn to be nice whilst I sat downstairs on the sofa with Beanie Boy and curled up to watch Madagascar.

The following day we had a trip to London with Daddy, Curly and Beanie Boy and whilst Little Bean and I were alone, she put her arms around my neck (I was sitting down, she’s not that tall just yet!) and said “I’m sorry I was mean to you yesterday Mummy, I love you lots really”. Mummy’s heart melted and peace was restored in our relationship. In the afternoon (when the children were getting tired and crabby) it was Curly and Little Bean’s turn to spat with each other, there were lots of “she said this, she did that” and “he said this, he did that”. Hubby and I tired of this very quickly and told them both to pack it in reminding Curly that at 11 years old he didn’t need to revert to being a 4 year old like his sister and to just ignore her.

Throughout the week we had a number of incidences where Little Bean was violent, mean and overly bossy with Beanie Boy. This didn’t sit well with Beanie Boy who decided to take it upon himself to stand up for himself by using any heavy toy he could find to hit her about the head with, which of course resulted in more tears and tantrums from both sides.

On Wednesday evening after a particularly uneventful day where the children and I just vegged out and did nothing, Little Bean decided it was Daddy’s turn for the rough treatment and told him she didn’t like him anymore, only Mummy. He was better at handling it than me and said “ok that’s nice, I love you sweetheart goodnight”.


On Friday evening after a really nice day where both of the tiddlers had been the perfect little twosome, we collected Nanna from work and I sang their praises only for them to start playing up less than 10 minutes later. We had planned on taking them to see the local fireworks display but as we prepared to leave the house, Little Bean told Nanna “I don’t like you, i’m not holding your hand I’m going with Mummy” which upset my Mum. The little madam was on a role let me tell you!!

And then of course the weekend brought with it fun and games of Hubby’s pneumonia – but that’s a whole different story.

The Highs

Yes there were some highs too, on Tuesday as I mentioned we spent the day in London. We had been invited to two events on the same day but rather than attending both decided to go our separate ways. I took the tiddlers to Disney HQ and Hubby took Curly to Warner Bros as we felt that the two events were geared more to specific age groups. I had a great time catching up with my friend Sophie and Little Bean really hit it off with Sophie’s daughter Pixie, they were almost inseparable by the end of the day!!


Hubby and Curly said they had a great time at Warner Bros as Curly is a big Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fan so he was in his element. Afterwards we all met up to let the children loose in both Hamleys and Disney Store before finding the nearest golden arches to fill our tummies before starting the long journey home.

Disney Store

On Wednesday, the children (and Daddy) all dressed up for Halloween and even though we didn’t have a party this year (I was too tired to organise one) they still got to go and knock on a few of the neighbours doors for Trick or Treat. They loved that Daddy dressed up too (I’m not so sure that he loved it though!!).


On Thursday, Hubby took the day off work again (yes his 7th day this year!!!) and we all (minus Curly) boarded the train at Peterborough Station bound for Kings Cross on our way to John Lewis on Oxford Street to meet the one and only Poppy Cat. The tiddlers were super excited to be taking Daddy on the train with them and were keen to tell him where he needed to stand, sit and what he needed to do whilst on the train. Sleeping was certainly NOT an option!!

Poppy Cat

After spending a really fun couple of hours at John Lewis with Poppy Cat the day was ours for the taking so popped into M&S for some lunch (we didn’t fancy anything on the menu in John Lewis) and asked Twitter for their recommendations on what to do for an afternoon in London with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Good old Twitter didn’t fail me as within minutes we received the suggestion of the Natural History Museum or the Science Museum. Funnily enough, I had thought about taking them there so many times before but I just wasn’t sure if they were too young. Rather than travelling on the underground we decided to walk the 1.8miles across Hyde Park because the sun was shining and you get to see so much more of the great sights in London when you walk it. What we hadn’t really considered was how Hubby and I would cope with the cold air and frog marching across London with our coughs, especially Daddy who had to carry Little Bean quite a bit but we took it steady and only had a few coughing fits each. We arrived outside the Natural History Museum sooner than we anticipated and hadn’t even thought about the queues to get in, they reached to the end of the street. Hubby and I were all for calling it a day and heading home but the tears from Little Bean began and she said that she really wanted to wait in the queue. I have to say, for a little girl who normally moans something chronic if we have to queue she was brilliant. She waited very patiently, had a couple of snacks and within 20 minutes we were inside and ready to begin our adventure. I had tried to describe to Little Bean what the museum was like and the best I could come up with was like the DVD “A Night at the Museum”, thinking of course about the dinosaur skeleton in the main lobby, and so this was where Little Bean wanted to go first. Despite the museum being very busy, we were able to navigate it quite quickly, even with the pushchair and both of the tiddlers LOVED it. There were lots of ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ as they spotted the different exhibits. I nearly fell over backwards when Little Bean exclaimed “oh look Mummy a Dodo”. We still have no idea where she has learnt about Dodos from, perhaps Curly?!? Since we needed to get back to our train we only managed to spend about 90 minutes at the museum but it was enough to see that coming for a day with Curly and Little Bean would be a good day out so we promised that we would return again soon with Bro.


Natural History Museum

On Saturday our world pretty much turned upside down as Hubby was taken into hospital with Acute Pneumonia. My plans to take Little Bean to the Peterborough Museum that she loves so much had to be postponed until the Sunday but I stuck to my promise and on Sunday we had a ‘girls only’ afternoon out to a couple of shops that Little Bean likes to look in, followed by the museum and then finally a visit to see Daddy in Hospital. Little Bean was an absolute star for me whilst Hubby was away, she really did her best to help me around the house and to take care of Beanie Boy. I finally got to see the ‘real’ Little Bean again for a few days and it was very precious to me.

Peterborough Museum

Peterborough Museum

So what did you do over Half Term, anything exciting?


  • Mirka Moore

    November 7 at 8:29 pm

    Wow, looks like you had loads of fun, and loving the face painting. Hope you are well xxx

    1. mummymatters

      November 8 at 2:38 pm

      It all feels like a lifetime ago now but yes we did have some fun in amongst the other stuff x

  • Rachael Jess

    November 8 at 9:48 am

    My goodness you’ve been busy – I worn out for you.

    1. mummymatters

      November 8 at 2:39 pm

      lol, we have never been ones to just sit around – funny then that we should complain that our children are on the go all the time – I wonder where they get it from?!?! 🙂

  • Super Amazing Mum

    November 9 at 6:04 am

    Hoping Hubby is feeling better now! I agree,BTW start of with the bad news and finish on a high!!!!!!!

    See you soon xx

    1. IamMummyMatters

      November 9 at 10:17 pm

      He is getting there very slowly (too slowly for his liking!).

      Thank you xx

  • Littlejennie

    November 10 at 6:25 am

    Loved catching up on your week. The lows will get less low – I’m sure it’s just a phase. X

    1. IamMummyMatters

      November 12 at 1:30 pm

      Lol, yes when you become a parent you go through a lot of ‘phases’!! 🙂 x

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Post

Next Post