Designing and Decorating a Fab Playroom
We have all felt the effects of the current pandemic, and kids haven’t been spared too. For a majority of them, homeschooling has become the new normal. As a result, these kids spend a lot of their time at home. To be confined within the home environment can be quite boring, more so for kids. However, it’s not all gloom and doom; the silver lining is that they get to spend quality time with their parents.
Although young minds tend to be creative, if their creativity is not well utilised, it becomes a recipe for disaster. In emphasising the importance of play, Vince Gowmon says, “Play is the shortest route between children and their creative calling.” A great and cost-effective way to facilitate their playtime while at home is to convert a spare room/space into a fab playroom.
Benefits of a Playroom
If you’re still unsure about designating a playroom for your kids, here’s why you should:
- It helps keep the house organised: Kids have room to store all their toys, which reduces the mess caused by leaving them everywhere.
- Enables children to be in control: While in the playroom, the kids live in a pretend world where they can control what happens. This helps them develop their creativity as well as the ability to express themselves without restriction.
- Makes baby-sitting easier: Keeping an eye on the kids while they run around the house can be a daunting task, especially while multi-tasking. Having them in the playroom makes it much easier for the caretakers.
- Helps develop social skills: When children play next to each other, they are bound to involve everyone in the game. Through this, kids learn how to socialise and relate with one another.
- Encourages kids to share: Since the playroom will have numerous toys, the kids learn to share their toys. One can only play with a few toys at a time. Through this, kids learn how to be kind to others.
Factors to Consider When Designing a Fab Playroom
Now that you’re all in, here’s what you should consider before designing the playroom:
- Space: For children to enjoy playtime, they need space to learn, explore, and have fun. Choose a suitable room within the house, preferably one with good lighting. You can also partition a room if space is a challenge. Ensure that the kids have enough space to play and move around without feeling confined.
- Storage: To avoid the mess caused by inadequate storage, it is wise to think about your storage options. Ensure that you have a mix of open and closed storage facilities. Closed storage enables you to put away tiny toy pieces, while open storage allows you to display colourful pieces.
- Age and gender: While it may seem like stating the obvious, age and gender enable you to plan and design appropriate activities for your child. If the playroom is shared amongst older and younger kids, you can separate it using a playpen. The older kids can have their corner while the younger ones safely play within their zone. Gender helps in selecting colour schemes as well as appropriate toys.
- Interest: Artistic children may lean towards activities like playing with musical instruments, singing, or dancing. On the other hand, some kids may be budding bookworms. Knowing your child’s interest enables you to build a playroom that will have plenty of fun activities for him/her.
- Materials: With kids, you rarely go wrong by keeping it simple. When it comes to decor, always avoid glass. Consider materials that are warm and pleasant to touch since they are reassuring to small hands.
How to Choose Kids Decor
The decor is what makes the room stand out. It is what differentiates the playroom from the rest of the rooms in the house. Billy Baldwin had this to say about decor, “Be faithful to your taste because nothing you really like goes out of style.” Here’s how to select the perfect whimsical decor for your fab playroom:
Step 1: Choose a Unique Theme and Color
The theme and colour are important since a lot of decor decisions are made based on them. It is best to select your child’s favourite colour. If the playroom is being shared, select a neutral colour that the kids love to make work easier.
Step 2: Select Furniture, Floor, and Wallpaper
The key things to have in mind while selecting furniture for the playroom are functionality, fun, and durability. It always helps to start with a centrepiece and build from there. Ottomans with storage or benches with enough storage underneath to provide for baskets provide sufficient sitting space and playroom organization. In terms of flooring, skid-proof, non-porous, easy to clean floors are a great option. Painting walls or decorating them with wallpaper is an affordable way to spruce up the room.
Step 3: Pick Suitable Fabric
While picking fabrics, bear in mind the theme colour. Warm fabrics are a great choice since they enliven the room. Fabrics include curtains, throw pillows, rugs, and carpets. Ensure that the fabric is soft and easy to wash, bearing in mind its intended purpose.
Step 4: Decorate Walls
This can be a fun way to spend quality time with the kids. Let them draw/paint DIY projects which you can later frame and hang on the wall. It makes them feel appreciated to be part of the process, plus it’s a great way to showcase their masterpieces. A bonus is that it enhances the playroom. All you need is a few frames and nails/hooks to fasten them on the wall.
Step 5: Partition the Room
The room may serve several functions, and to achieve this, you can maximise space, and if the kids are of different age groups, it caters to all their needs.
A child’s playroom is a place for creativity, fun, and imagination. Now that playgrounds are yet to be considered safe, it is up to parents to create a haven within their homes. Play helps to nurture children in their journey of self-discovery.
This post was written by David Sheppard, the founder of hvacjudge.com