Every time you log in to watch a new episode of Pawn Stars, you see someone selling a toy for an astronomical price!
Yes, collecting toys and investing in them can be more lucrative and profitable than the stock market. Remember the time your dad shouted at you for demanding that action figure in the 1990s? Now it would be well worth in six figures.
For a very long time, the market around toy collectibles was unorganised. However, thanks to the internet and platforms like eBay, vintage toys in impeccable condition can command a fortune. This is why investors are always lining up to buy them any which way they find.
In this article, we are going to talk about toy collectibles and why the market for them is booming unlike ever before. If you are someone that has prized possessions or is looking to start a collection, you should pay attention.
List of 3 Ways you can get your hands on Toy Collectibles
You might be wondering how you are going to locate, track down and buy toy collectibles. In this section, we are going to look at three major ways that can help you-
1. Relatives, Friends, and Family Members
One of the first and probably the easiest way you can get your hands on toy collectibles are at someone’s house. You can check out the attic, basement, and those old boxes that have been stored away for decades. If you check in at your grandparents’ house, you can be sure to find old artifacts, toys, and other heirlooms that might be worth a lot of money in the market today.
2. Garage/Yard Sales, Home Auctions and Estates
Did your neighbours recently host a garage sale and you thought of it as a waste of time? Well, you might have missed a golden opportunity to get your hands on some toy collectibles. Many families hold yard sales when their kids move out and go off to college. These are golden opportunities where you can pick up something rare for a small price.
3. Online Platforms, eBay and Toy Websites
The first thing that you should know is that these platforms know the value of the toys. However, what they do not know is how much it will appreciate in the coming years. For example, you can get your hands on McDonalds barbies for maybe a hundred dollars. The same might increase to a few thousand when you share it with the right collector!
Factors that Affect the Prices and Valuation of Toy Collectibles
In the last section, we looked at three ways you can get your hands on some vintage toy collectibles. In this one, we are going to look at factors that affect the prices and value of the toys.
- Rarity- the first thing that is going to affect the value is how rare the toy is? The rarer the toy, the more desirable it will be for customers and investors.
- Condition- toys are graded according to their condition by graders. The higher the grading, the more impeccable will the condition be. Box packing fetches a premium.
- Limited Editions- toy brands have through the years come out with limited editions. If you get your hands on one, rest assured that this will command a very high price.
- Mainstream Depiction- if a toy was featured in a movie, or a cartoon, or a tv series, it can become more desirable for the collector. This is something that you should look at.
If you are looking to invest in toy collectibles, make sure you pay attention to the above four factors. Most experts agree that keeping the box packing of the toys helps in improving their value.
The Bottom Line
In recent years, the demand for collectibles like vintage baseball cards, old tech, gadgets, and toys is increasing. This is prompting investors to collect toys as soon as a new Disney movie is launched. That is also a good strategy that can help you get your hands on something that might become a collectible some years down the line.
If you have any other questions, you would like us to answer on toy collectibles, we will be more than happy to answer them. Drop your questions or queries in the comments section below.