Visiting Sicily as a family: tips and recommendations for a dreamy holiday
The Island of Sicily is well known for its friendly locals, stunning beaches, and culture that is unlike anywhere else in the world (including elsewhere in Italy). It makes for a wonderful destination for any travel and has made it to the top of my list for family travel.
Why Sicily is a great destination for families
Sicily has gorgeous weather (which means fewer melt-downs, at least temperature-related ones), wonderful food that even the pickiest of eaters will happy with, plenty to do and gorgeous landscapes where mom and dad will even be happy at an adventure park with a beautiful backdrop, and a culture that really values family.
Visiting Sicily as a family
Something that I have found when travelling with family is that the destination needs to have something for everyone. My kids don’t like to visit museums all day, and naps are sometimes necessary, so we have found it to be a game-changer to visit destinations that are both open, understanding and accommodating to family travel.
- Plan your arrival airport accordingly. There are three main airports on the island, including those in Palermo, Catania and Trapani. If possible, it is helpful to fly into the airport closest to the side of the island where you are staying and exploring.
- Rent a car for your trip to Sicily. It is much easier to explore the island with a car, especially with kids, so you don’t have to worry about public transport and pack snacks, toys, and ‘just in case’ entertainment in the car.
- Rent a beach villa for your holiday. The options are endless, and this is the highly recommended accommodation type due to the affordable prices, privacy, and authentic Sicilian experience you get.
While the island itself is rather large, some must-visit places should be included on your trip. You can certainly arrive on the island and decide what to see from there, but it is helpful to know what you would like to see before you go as many of the sites are spread out or set in different areas on the island.
Here are some of the must-visit places in Sicily:
- Valley of the Temples. The Valley of the Temples is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the city of Agrigento.
- Mount Etna. Mount Etna is another UNESCO World Heritage Site where people of all ages can enjoy the beauty of the active volcano. You can take a cable car halfway up with kids and pack a lunch so you can stop for a picnic. At the base of Mount Etna, there is also the Etna Adventure Park.
- Syracuse is a gorgeous town with a main road that many families wander down with a gelato in hand. There is even a traditional puppet show where crowds gather at the Piccolo Teatro di Pupi.
- Cefalù. Cefalù is a picturesque fishing village where you will slip immediately into holiday mode. You can climb ‘La Rocca’, the towering granite mass above the city, for views below or spend your time wandering down the seaside.
Sicily makes for quite the dreamy holiday between the rich culture, natural wonders, and overall beauty of the island.
August 1 at 10:06 pm
Sicily looks like a beautiful place to visit. I wonder what it’s like for going with children.
August 1 at 10:38 pm
Italy is such a beautiful country, perfect for family travels.
August 2 at 12:06 am
Sicily has been high on my list of ‘to dos’ for a few years – it’s the one Italian island I’ve not visited. And I really want to
August 5 at 7:02 pm
There are so many beautiful places, it’s hard to know which ones to do first x
Annette, 3 Little Buttons
August 2 at 6:51 am
I’ve always wanted to visit Sicily! -So really glad to have come across your post. Mine loves culture and the beach – so I think we’d get away with a holiday here.
August 5 at 7:03 pm
I think Sicily would be the perfect destination for your family x
Steph @ Renovation Bay-Bee
August 2 at 6:33 pm
Oh this has come up on our searches for a family holiday but I didn’t know much about Sicily so thank you!
August 5 at 7:04 pm
It’s definitely one to add the family travel list x
August 2 at 8:49 pm
i so would love to visit the valley of the temples !! and Sicily is one beautiful country x kind regards pati robins @style-squeeze blog
August 5 at 7:05 pm
It certainly is, it’s one of those places I always ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ over when I look online and in brochures.
August 2 at 8:59 pm
Oh my, it looks wonderful. I would definitely visit Sicily, if only for the volcanoes and Heritage sites!
August 5 at 7:05 pm
Exactly, so much to learn about and explore x
August 2 at 9:47 pm
I’ve never been to Sicily but it sounds great. I especially like the sound of Cefalù.
August 5 at 7:06 pm
I don’t know about you but my travel wishlists seem neverending 😉
August 3 at 1:21 pm
I’d love to visit Sicily one day! SO many places not enough time or money unfortunately!
August 5 at 7:06 pm
Oh I know that feeling very well, my travel wishlist is longer than my arm!
August 4 at 2:10 am
what a breathtaking view, it would be really awesome and lovely if we get to visit here
August 5 at 7:08 pm
There is just ‘something’ about Italy and the Islands, isn’t there?