The Beans’ first taste of air travel . . . #instantfreedom

It’s hard to believe that as I write this post, one week to the day (and time) we were touching back down at Luton Airport after a blissful few days in the Menorcan sunshine after we finally bit the bullet and took the Beans on their first foreign adventure (not counting Curly who has been abroad many times).

I wrote this post just before we flew telling of my anxieties about taking the Beans to another Country. I was of course very excited at the prospect but nervous all the same. I needn’t have worried of course because really things couldn’t have gone much better.

We awoke way too early on Friday morning having had very little sleep thanks to (a) me worrying and (b) the Beans being unable to sleep as they were too hot in bed. Hubby and I somehow managed to drag ourselves out of bed, get showered, dressed and all the Beans into the car ready to leave our home at 3.30am as planned. As expected the roads were clear so we had a pretty good run to the airport until the last few miles when we discovered it was less than straightforward trying to find the airport parking location we had booked. The sat nav thought we were driving in a field, we KNEW we were driving on a road. We tried using my mobile phone for directions but even that had other ideas and then finally (a little too late I know) I decided to read the paperwork which said “follow these directions as sat nav can’t find us” oops, should perhaps have read that BEFORE setting off then! Thankfully after our detour around Luton we found the parking and processed quickly before boarding the bus to the airport.


At the airport  the Beans were very excited but waited in line at check-in without too much fuss. We have never flown from Luton before and I’m sorry to say we didn’t find it the easiest of Airports to navigate, once we had checked in our bags we then had to go to another area of the airport to check in the pushchair before heading upstairs for security. By the time we arrived upstairs, it resembled a cattle market with a sea of people all pushing to get through as quickly as possible. It was at this point that we realised we were quickly running out of time and definitely didn’t have time for breakfast as we had planned. Thankfully, one of the Security Officials took pity on the crowds and opened up a further lane enabling some of the families with small children to get through a little quicker. Once through security we then had to run as fast as the Beans’ legs could carry them to board the plane with minutes to go before take-off.


In our haste we placed the Beans’ Trunki Boostapaks into the overhead lockers without thinking to take out their tablets to keep them amused whilst waiting for take-off. At this point their hunger kicked in and their patience began to wear a little thin but then just in the nick of time, we were cleared for take-off and they had something else to think about. Little Bean reminded me very much of myself when I first flew, she excitedly watched out of the windows at the other planes landing and then squealed when I told her it was our turn to take off. Beanie Boy was quite quiet, watching out of the windows, Curly sat back and relaxed, Jelly Bean lifted his arms in the air like he was about to hurtle down a rollercoaster and then the engines roared loader signalling the start of our journey.


Little Bean was initially a little worried about the sound of the engines until I assured her it was ok, as we moved faster and faster along the runway the Beans excitement grew and before we knew it, that weightless feeling struck as the wheels left the tarmac and we took to the air (this is the point I usually feel a little sick, one look to Hubby told me he felt exactly the same but we plastered on the smiles for the Beans).


The flight passed without too much stress, thankfully I had packed enough small books, games and a snack each for the Beans to keep them entertained. The elder three had their tablets so submerged themselves into their favourite shows and games. Jelly Bean flitted between Hubby and I, looking at books and having fun with his stickers (and of course, chatting up the pretty Air Hostesses!). After a little chat with one particular Hostess who took a shine to the Beans we even managed to pop in for a chat with the Captain once we had landed. The Beans thought this was amazing!


Our flight lasted just two hours and before we knew it we were touching down to blazing sunshine. I was a little disappointed to see that we had to exit the plane through a tunnel so we didn’t get that blast of heat when you exit the plane via a set of stairs onto the tarmac but that time would come soon enough as we collected our transfer bus after passport control and baggage reclaim.


Passport Control was a different experience as a family of six. I’m used to getting the solemn face of the Passport Controller who looks from my face to the passport and then hands it over and waves me on. With the six of us we handed over a pile of passports and waited whilst he checked each Passport and called out the names of each Bean before giving each of them a smile and a wink. Little things like that made their first travel experience a much happier one – although Little Bean was very disappointed she didn’t get a stamp in her passport.


We had booked transfers via Hoppa and were very impressed with their service. The instructions to their Customer Service desk were really easy to follow and the staff were super friendly. Imagine our surprise however when we left the airport to find not a taxi or a minibus waiting to take us to our resort but a COACH! Yes a 52 seater coach for the six of us!! We certainly had space to spread out and be comfortable. The transfer took just shy of 30 minutes to reach our destination, our #instantfreedom fun in the sun was about to begin . . .

Come back soon to find out more about our family getaway to Menorca with Villas.com

DISCLAIMER: Our holiday was provided courtesy of Villas.com in exchange for an honest account of our experience. All words, opinions and images are my own and may not be copied without my permission.



  • Mummy of Two + 1

    July 8, 2015 at 7:01 pm

    So great to read your experiences. We are taking all three of ours to America in the summer and I am really really panicking about the flight! Great to hear how smoothly it went, fingers crossed we have a similar experience!

    1. IamMummyMatters

      July 9, 2015 at 1:00 pm

      Oh wow that will be amazing!!! We decided to try somewhere not too far away for our first foray but hope to make it to Orlando one year whilst they will still appreciate it 🙂

  • Kicking off our #instantfreedom at Villas Menorca Sur, Son Bou – Mummy Matters

    July 9, 2015 at 6:00 am

    […] far I have told you all about the Beans’ first experience of air travel, today I’m telling you all about our first day in Son Bou, Menorca . . […]

  • hoppa

    July 16, 2015 at 9:40 am

    Thanks for the mention – we’re thrilled your transfer service went well and you had a great holiday!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Post Next Post