How do you do it?

Come on Mums and Dads, please share your secret, how do you do it?  How do you manage your time, how do you ensure that all the important things get done and not forgotten?  How do you keep on top of the cleaning, the washing, the ironing, the letters and emails that need responding to, the shopping – how do you do it?

Messy room

In the years before children I was always very proud to put organised as one of my main skills in life, I used to feel quite happy to be compared to Monica from Friends because I had a system for anything.  In the workplace, systems were ‘my thing’ if something needed sorting out into a more organised, time efficient manner – I would be the one to put a new system in place.  My department ran like clockwork, no deadlines got missed, no pieces of paper went missing – it worked!  But it would appear that when Little Bean moved into my womb, my brain moved out of my head!  I’m not too sure where it went but if anyone finds a dusty old thing sat in the corner somewhere, it hasn’t escaped from some secondary school science block – it belongs to me!

Every morning I wake up feeling ready to take on the world (for about 2 seconds) and then my goldfish syndrome kicks in and I can’t for the life of me think what I needed to do.  I have written lists upon lists of things ‘to do’ but do I know where they are?  No!  I have put them as reminders in my phone, but my phone is a bit hit and miss, sometimes it reminds me, sometimes it doesn’t – I guess I’m not the only one who has off days.  As it the case often with children, they don’t run to the schedule that you would like so although I might start the day with a plan of action, it doesn’t always work as I had planned.

Before children, I loved my sleep, i would be in bed around 10pm and wake up around 7.30am but now I’m lucky if I’m asleep before 1.00am and I’m still awake by 7.30am.  The moment my head hits the pillow, all the things I need to do start jumping into my head and then I start stressing myself out about the things I have missed, what I need to do the following day and so on and on and on!  I’ve tried writing them down but for some reason it still doesn’t work.

Suggestions on a sticky note please, a postcard I could lose!

Facebook Comments

9 Comments

1. motherofintention
    November 16, 2010 / 4:06 pm

1/ don’t iron. In this house his work shirts get ironed. Clothes for going out get ironed. Nothing else does unless it looks really, really creased.

2/ If it needs to be cleaned to be hygienic then do it. If it doesn’t then leave it. Messy is a way of life when you have small children. A bit of dust and dirt is actually good for them.

3/ If a thing is IMPORTANT you will remember to do it. If you forget to do it, it can’t have been important.

I have to confess i grew up in a showhome, and I am the opposite now. I find it hard to relax in a house that is TOO tidy. Bam’s 5 now and it’s much easier to keep on top of things than it was when he was under 3.

I was extremely organised at work when i ran the business, and I had an organised brain for personal diary (birthdays, appointments, etc), but since having Bam that disappeared and I’m sorry to say it never came back.

I’d say that for now at least you need to retrain your brain and personality to accept a less organised and structured life………give yourself permission to let it go. As long as your kids have a healthy atmosphere to live in then the rest really, really doesn’t matter.

You should read The Idle Parent…….

• mummymatters
      November 16, 2010 / 5:27 pm

Thank you, I like your way of thinking!! I think that is half of my problem, I’m still trying to be the person I was before my babies arrived and I need to accept that I’m not that person anymore!!

Will look out The Idle Parent! Thanks xx

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention How do you do it? « deepinmummymatters.com -- Topsy.com
  3. March 26, 2011 / 10:22 pm

Apparently, dust stops collecting after two years. Problem solved!

I used to be really organised when I was off on maternity leave; all washing and ironing was done by a Sunday evening, I cleaned the kitchen every day and hoovered every other day, sometimes every day with the heavy traffic areas. Then I went back to work and everything went screwy. I started blogging and my house is a mess!

Therefore I need to give up blogging and work in order to be Martha Stewart again. One of those I could accept!

Thanks for linking up to ShowOff ShowCase.

• mummymatters
      March 27, 2011 / 9:19 pm

Oooh really? I like that statistic 😉

Blimey you were good when on maternity leave, I don’t think I’ve ever been that good since having children and certainly not since blogging came along!! Some things are just more important.

Thanks for your comment x

4. March 26, 2011 / 11:49 pm

Oh this sounds so familiar! My mind is always racing when I get into bed with all the things I should have done or want to do. I think about writing them down but decide that I’ll remember them in the morning but then by the time I wake up my mind I’d blank! And if I had £1 for every time I’d written a shopping list and lost it….

• mummymatters
      March 27, 2011 / 9:17 pm

I always think about writing them down but then I can’t find a pen or paper, then I think I’ll make a list on my ipod and then I wake up and its feeding time!

Thanks for dropping by x

5. March 27, 2011 / 7:22 am

I am constantly stressed about the state of my house but time just gets eaten up with twinfants to care for. Sometimes it does really get ne down, I try so hard not to let it x

• mummymatters
      March 27, 2011 / 9:16 pm

Ohh twinfants my goodness – I’d be begging Hubby for a cleaner (but then I’d feel like I’d need to clean before they arrived so they didn’t think I was dirty – lol!!). Thanks for your comment x

It's always nice to receive comments, go on don't be shy . . .