I think I need a good boot . . . .

In approximately 6 -10weeks time we need to be moving out of our current house as we’ve sold it!! Yippee!!!  However, the house which we are moving into won’t be ready (or should I say BUILT!) until September/October this year (roughly the same time that our Baby is due – how’s that for timing!).  This of course means that we need to find somewhere else to live until then, I know it will be through the summer but I’m not sure our tent is quite big enough to house us and all our belongings!

So I need a boot, so to speak!! I need to pull my finger out and (a) find us a house and (b) sort out all our belongings into sell piles, charity piles and keep piles.  We have known about the house move for approximately 4 weeks now but so far we have done, erm, well . . . . nothing!  Our loft is packed to the rafters, as is our garage and the loft in our garage and the shed!  Admittedly the loft has about 15 boxes of baby gear which we have kept should the next one turn out to be a little girl (we will find out in May) but apart from that the rest is just years of accumulated stuff which probably never comes out of the loft from one house move to the next.  I would really like to be one of those people who says, “if it hasn’t been used in a year, then I can get rid of it” but I’M NOT!  I’m a sentimental old fool and a hoarder and I just can’t bring myself to part with things.

Does anyone out there have any tips at all to help me on the best place to start with all of this?  Ideally we would like to sell as much as possible to raise funds to put towards furnishing our new house but ebay always takes so long to load everything up!! I’ve thought about doing a garage sale but do they really work?  Am I just being lazy?  How do you go about sorting your house out when you move?

I guess I could start by not sitting here with my laptop on my knee as this isn’t exactly getting it done either?

6 Comments

1. Slamdunk
    March 15, 2010 / 12:27 pm

Wow, congrats on selling the house, and best wishes with finding a temp place until October.

• em1973
      March 15, 2010 / 12:40 pm

Didn’t realise you were moving so soon Bina…great news..!! We’re hoping to move house as well later this year or early next year. My only suggestion with regards to selling stuff is car boot sales and also I wouldn’t rule out a garage sale, I’ve been to a few in Northborough and Deeping and they seem to work well.
      Good luck with everything.
      x

• mummymatters
        March 18, 2010 / 9:17 pm

I know its exciting stuff, hopefully will catch up with you next week for M’s birthday get together xx

• mummymatters
      March 18, 2010 / 9:18 pm

Thank you – life is very busy right now, we are viewing a house tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be “the one” – well the temporary one at least!

2. supersinglemum
    March 16, 2010 / 4:09 pm

Step by step list for you to follow:

1. Put down the computer!
    2. Be ruthless, have you used it in the last year? If not does it hold specific sentimental connections? If not are you likely to use it? (Be honest here, chances are you won’t if it’s been a year) If not either sell it, charity, or bin it.
    3. Book a pitch for the car boot at the children’s centre next month for all the bits that are worth selling but not worth bothering with ebay for.
    4. Look for a house (I will allow you to use the internet for this bit lol!)
    5. What, your still reading this?????? Now Go…………………………

xx

• mummymatters
      March 18, 2010 / 9:14 pm

Ok SSM I did as I was told, I put down the computer – this is the first time I have switched it on it 2 days! I still haven’t actually done any sorting out but I WILL! Honest!! I have mentally booked a pitch for the car boot and said it verbally but as you may have noticed, no-one really seemed to be taking charge of the bookings?!?!? House – looked at one this afternoon, YUK! Holding out big hopes for the one we’re seeing tomorrow. . . watch this space!!

It's always nice to receive comments, go on don't be shy . . .